- Next Dates: Intermediate Level and Above Trip, Sept 8 – 18, 2022 (3 of 6 spots left) then June 3 – 13, 2023 – 10 nights onboard, surfing as much as you can handle!
- $3999 NZD – All inclusive: Pre-trip coaching session in Raglan or Online, Pickup from the Airport, Comfortable bedrooms, 3 hearty meals a day with snacks in between, tea, coffee and water, daily surf coaching and filming/photography,
- Central Atolls Adventure Included!! – We will not only surf the high quality spots of the North and South Male Atolls, we will also cruise to the less populated Central Atolls. This chain is also home to world class waves, but since there are hardly any land camps here, the waves are less crowded.
- Simply Fly to Male ( A 4 hr 40min flight from Singapore) – Arrive on the day the trip begins and the boat staff will collect you from the airport and you’re straight to the boat, surfing that day!
- No Covid Hassles – The Maldives has no pre-departure testing or vaccination requirements for tourists to enter or leave the country.
Boat Trip Overview
Normally Surf Boat Trips are for big groups of 10 or 12 people, this makes them hard to organise for a start. Then once aboard, even if a surf spot is empty you end up surfing with quite a few others each session, and you may be at different levels, wanting different kinds of waves!
This charter boat is setup to handle 12 people but we are capping it at 7 (including myself) to ensure the coaching is personalised. This trip will take in 3 of Maldives surfing areas over the 10 nights. These being North Male, South Male and the more isolated Central Atolls of Meemu, Dhaalu, Thaa and Laamu.
✓ Surf a large variety of perfect surf spots, these setups are truly world class, as good as it gets!
✓ This a great chance to improve your surfing due to pristine conditions suited to your level, combined with a simple process for learning the foundation movements of good surfing + plus regular video feedback
✓ You’ll get in-water coaching to help you get comfortable surfing reef-breaks and to help you with positioning for take-offs. If needed we’ll also do theory sessions on these topics, angled takeoffs and which types of turns to do on each type of section etc
✓ Using the video footage we’ll hone in on the “chunks” of your surfing that are causing you problems, and aim to reprogram them with movement training on the boat and reminders in the water. We’ll also go deep into the specifics of manoeuvres
✓ You’ll get a tonne of photos and videos of you surfing and hanging out in paradise
✓ New surf mates! These trips tend to attract like-minded people and the vibe is supportive!
✓ Mind blowing snorkeling and sea life
The Daily Surf Coaching Routine
Days will vary depending on the boat’s movements, but in general it will go a little something like this…
2 or even 3 surfs per day with 1 filmed surf session per day to get ample footage of each surfer for review.
Each Afternoon, or during downtime between surfs, we’ll do the following training sessions:
- Check our foundation of popup and stance are solid enough for good surfing movement patterns to be built on (the pre-trip session in NZ will also cover this and aim to get your foundation sorted in advance so you can make the most of the trip)
- Understand our canvas, the wave, it’s various types of sections, and which type of turn matches each section. If necessary we’ll take a look at common wave riding scenarios and basic turns to maximise your rides
- Learn on land, or I should say re-learn, the toeside and heelside movement patterns, layering details until we can use them to practice the main fh and bh turns, wraps, snaps, vertical re-entries and cutbacks with precision, including speed generation both forehand and backhand
- Go deeper into the specifics of manoeuvres such as tubes, floaters, laybacks, still using the 2 movement patterns as your base
Each evening we’ll do a video review session to identify your main focus areas for improvement.
Continued practice of the movements and Video Feedback…: Each day you’ll continue to practice the movement patterns with specific attention on correcting any problem “chunks” the video identified. I’ll be reminding you of the corrections, clarifying details before and during surfs, providing feedback in the water as needed.
And in the daily filmed session you can then go out and over exaggerate the corrections for your problem areas (what is correct often feels stupid or kooky at first!), while you have the luxury of video feedback and its objectiveness.
What level is the Maldives trip for?
“Intermediate Surfers” can be interpreted in different ways, but on my scale this trip is for level 3 and level 4 surfers. You can check your level here.
In general the Maldives waves are very perfect and clean, but not as heavy as the waves in Indonesia. There are some waves for beginners and novices, others for advanced surfers, but most spots offer perfect conditions for Intermediates to improve their skills. To make the most of this trip you need to be comfortable in head high waves and able to catch waves on your own, around other surfers.
Anyone from anywhere can join this trip. The best thing is that you won’t be challenging yourself alone. You’ll have the support and camaraderie of the group. Surfers of the same level as you.
Accommodation on the Boat
The Boat is a classic Maldivian vessel with a beautiful look and feel. It has several communal areas both indoor and out on the deck. The boat has a/c and there is an indoor lounge with TV/DVD and a music system. Towards the bow is a large area for hanging out between surfs, the large roof deck is also great to watch the waves and sunsets from!
There are six cabins, four of them have ensuites with double bunk beds and the other two have single bunk beds. There are also two extra toilets and showers onboard. All six cabins have air conditioning. Depending on bookings you will either get your own cabin, or you may need to share with one other person. They will be allocated in the order of booking.
The boat has an auxiliary dinghy for accessing the surf spots and islands.
Surfing Boat Trip for Intermediate Surfers Maldives
✓ Pre-trip coaching session in Raglan or Online
✓ 10 nights accommodation, all meals, snacks, coffee/tea/water
✓ Surf guide on board to ensure you get the best waves available
✓ Comprehensive daily surf coaching on the boat and in the water
✓ All your surfing video footage and photos downloaded to Dropbox after the trip
✓ Other adventures such as snorkeling, fishing, island exploration
✓ Airport Pickup
You will need to fly to Male (MLE) which is easily accessible from Singapore. From New Zealand, the best option is to fly Singapore Airlines or Air New Zealand which will fly Auckland – Singapore – Male in most cases. At present these flights are from $1800 to 2000 NZD return.
You will arrive in Male at 1155am local time and be collected by staff and taken to the boat, departing for the waves as soon as possible!
The cost of these flights is not included in the package but I will provide more detailed information and will help ensure everything runs smoothly.
You will need to bring your own surfboards. I would recommend your standard shortboard or even a fish/twin fin for the mellower days, plus a step up board more suited to hollow waves in case we score a solid swell. It’s good to bring 2 boards in case one gets damaged. Here are a few other tips on what to arrange and what to bring.
- Travel Insurance is a must have for everyone on this trip.
- Bring a quality long sleeve wetsuit vest for reef and sun protection.
- Spare fins, legropes, fin keys, wax are a must. There will be no surf shop access.
- Reef boots are a good idea to keep your feet safe and for island explorations.
- Mosquito repellent and light long sleeve tops/long pants.
- Bring a first aid kit to deal with any reef cuts.
- Pack as light as possible – sometimes the flights have weight restrictions.
* the above is an overview, I will provide a detailed packing list and trip information document at a later date
The total price to join this trip is $3999 NZD per person.
The boats book up a long time in advance, so if you are interested, let me know immediately and I will advise on when deposits and full payments are due.